US congratulates Maldivian people for Prez polls
Washington: The US has congratulated Maldivian people on the conclusion of the first round of their presidential polls, saying the high voter turnout reflects commitment to democratic government.
"We congratulate the Maldivian people on concluding the first round of their presidential election on September 7. The very high voter turnout showed the strong commitment of the people of Maldives to democratic government," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said.
"As the country prepares for a second round of voting on September 28, we call on all parties to respect the democratic process and continue to allow for a free, fair and peaceful vote to take place," she said.
"This is the second presidential election since Maldives embraced multi-party democracy in 2008, and thus represents a historic opportunity for Maldivians to select democratically the representative of their choice," Harf said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Karunanidhi trains guns on TN police following techie's murder
- Top reasons to watch Harshvardhan Kapoor's 'Mirzya'!
- 'Game of Thrones' will have shorter final seasons
- Now Banks, malls, shops can remain open 24X7; cabinet clears Model Shop & Establishment Act
- This is what a Pakistani thinks why cow is sacred for Hindus - Watch