US congratulates Maldivian people for Prez polls
Washington: The US has congratulated Maldivian people on the conclusion of the first round of their presidential polls, saying the high voter turnout reflects commitment to democratic government.
"We congratulate the Maldivian people on concluding the first round of their presidential election on September 7. The very high voter turnout showed the strong commitment of the people of Maldives to democratic government," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said.
"As the country prepares for a second round of voting on September 28, we call on all parties to respect the democratic process and continue to allow for a free, fair and peaceful vote to take place," she said.
"This is the second presidential election since Maldives embraced multi-party democracy in 2008, and thus represents a historic opportunity for Maldivians to select democratically the representative of their choice," Harf said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29