US Congress readying $1 bn in economic aid to Ukraine
Washington: US lawmakers said Monday they will introduce a "critical" economic support package to Ukraine authorizing $1 billion in loans to the nation in the grips of a geopolitical face-off with neighbor Russia.
"I`m terribly concerned about what`s going on in Ukraine. I think Ukraine is in crisis and it needs some help," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters as he met with visiting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the US Capitol.
"I`m going to recommend that anything that we do should be in coordination with our allies," he said, noting that President Barack Obama "said he wants to give some economic aid. I think that`s appropriate."
Fellow Senate Democrat Robert Menendez said the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee which he chairs is "developing a bipartisan legislative package to provide critical support to Ukraine, which is teetering on the brink of economic collapse following years of chronic government mismanagement and corruption."
The legislation would greenlight a minimum of $1 billion in loan guarantees to support Ukraine`s economy, and authorize technical assistance to support elections, fight corruption, strengthen civil society, and help Kiev recover stolen assets.
"We are also consulting with the administration on possible sanctions actions against individual Russians and Ukrainians that range from visa bans and asset freezes, to the suspension of military cooperation and sales, as well as economic sanctions," Menendez said.
Secretary of State John Kerry, due to visit Kiev this week in the middle of Europe`s deepest security crisis since the Cold War, suggested recently that Obama`s team was working up a similar loan package to Ukraine.
Congress has greater powers to directly authorize such spending or to impose sanctions.
Meanwhile, Eric Cantor, number two Republican leader in the House of Representatives, warned that Russia`s "invasion of Ukraine" represents a violation of international law and "should spur a long overdue reassessment of our policy towards Russia."
A top congressional priority, he said, was to work in bipartisan fashion to move an aid package including loan guarantees to Ukraine "as quickly as possible."
It was also imperative to see how Washington might be able to "impose sanctions on Russian officials, oligarchs, and other individuals complicit in Russia`s efforts to invade and interfere with Ukraine`s sovereign affairs," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`