US Congress resolution, Ghadhar party recognised
Washington: A Congressional resolution recognising the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Ghadar Party in the US has been introduced in the House of Representatives.
Introduced in the House of Representatives by Congressmen Ami Bera and Mike Honda, the resolution notes that hundreds of Ghadar party members fought and died for the freedom of India.
In 1913 Indians nationals formed the Hindustani Association of the Pacific Coast in Astoria, Oregon, popularly known as the Ghadar Party with a objective of liberating India from British colonialism. Later, Ghadar Party established its headquarters in San Francisco, California.
The Ghadar Party launched a magazine titled `Ghadar` to promote aims, objectives, and activities of the organisation and published over 5,000 copies weekly for circulation.
Thousands of Ghadar supporters living in the US and Canada returned to India and inspired their countrymen to fight for their independence from Britain.
"The House of Representatives recognises the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Ghadar Party in the United States," says the resolution which was introduced on Wednesday. The resolution has been referred to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.
According to the resolution, there are an estimated 3,000,000 people of Indian origin in the United States forming an integral part of the social fabric of the Nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared