US considering lifting secrecy on drone strikes
Washington: The Obama administration is considering a proposal to lift up secrecy from controversial drone strikes.
The US has recognized to lift the secrecy, as the expanding program has become a regular part of US global counter terrorism operations, the Wall Street Journal reports.
US drone strikes are hardly a secret. Officials have spoken openly about them, but they are still classified, and unauthorized disclosures about details of individual missions could constitute a crime. According to US officials, the policy changes under consideration could include specifying which extremist groups associated with al Qaeda can be targeted by the Pentagon.
The debate has been given urgency by lawsuits seeking information on drone strikes.
Many officials also believe that it is time to re-evaluate US policies on secrecy about the targeted-killing program.
Unmanned aerial strikes on terrorist suspects began after the September 11 attacks.
Under the Obama administration, drone strikes carried out by the Central Intelligence Agency and the military have increasingly become common as a primary tool in US national-security strategy.
The considered changes could most likely adopt greater openness regarding the military drone program, while keeping most or all details of CIA strikes classified, US officials said.
CIA officials are opposed to publicly acknowledging the details of drone programs under its control, for fear of setting precedents that could affect other covert programs.
Some US officials believe they will prevail in the courts if they choose to keep the drone program secret and refuse to provide any documents sought in the lawsuits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Captured: Witness 70 tiger sharks ripping apart a dead whale! - Watch video
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 56: Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Revealed! Alia Bhatt to essay the role of a rape victim in 'Udta Punjab'
- This Gurudwara in Iran is a must-visit for Indians, PM Modi too visited on Sunday
- Check out: 7 ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL things to do in Kovalam beach, Kerala!