US contributes $40 mn to UNRWA
Washington: The United States on Thursday announced that it is making a contribution of USD 40 million to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestinian refugees in the Near East.
"Of this contribution, USD 30 million will support the UNRWA`s core services in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, and the West Bank and Gaza," Assistant Secretary of State for Public
Affairs, PJ Crowley, said.
"An additional USD 10 million will support the UNRWA`s emergency appeal for the West Bank and Gaza, including emergency food assistance and job creation programs," he said.
The USD 40 million contribution will provide critical health, education, and humanitarian services to 4.7 million Palestinian refugees across the region.
The US is UNRWA`s largest bilateral donor. In 2009, the US provided over USD 267 million to UNRWA, including USD 116.2 million to its General Fund, USD 119.5 million to its West Bank/Gaza emergency programmes, USD 30 million to emergency programmes in Lebanon, and USD 2.2 million to assist other Palestinians in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’