US couple dies trying to rescue dog from lake
Westfield (US): A US couple boating on a lake drowned after jumping into the water to rescue their dog, who survived.
Police say the small dog jumped into Hampton Ponds in Westfield, Massachusetts, on Monday night, prompting 64-year-old Donald Cyr to follow his pet into the lake.
Police told The Westfield News that he became distressed and his wife, 61-year-old Patricia Cyr, tried to rescue him.
Their daughter, Miranda Landry, told The Boston Globe that her mother jumped into the water despite not being able to swim.
"It doesn`t surprise me at all," Landry said. "I know that`s what she would do."
Other boaters, alerted by screams, helped pull the couple from the water. Efforts by rescue personnel failed to revive them, and both were pronounced dead at hospitals.
The dog survived and was taken to the municipal animal shelter. The couple received the West Highland white terrier as a gift from Daniel Cyr`s sister six weeks ago to replace a beloved dog who died a year ago, Landry and a neighbor told The Globe.
The Cyrs were a devoted couple of 40 years, and "they couldn`t survive without each other," said Landry, the youngest of the couple`s three children.
The deaths remain under investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city