US court allows teaching yoga in California school
Washington: A US court has allowed teaching yoga in a Southern California district school as part of curriculum, rejecting the petition by parents that the ancient Indian practice is promoting Hindu religious beliefs.
San Diego Superior Court Judge John Meyer on Monday ruled that the yoga programme of Encinitas Union School District does not endorse any religion.
As such the judge rejected the plea of a section of parents of schools that the Encinitas Union School District in San Diego by providing instruction in Ashtanga yoga, is promoting religious beliefs.
The law suit was filed by The National Center for Law & Policy on behalf of the parents.
"It`s almost like a trial by Wikipedia, which isn`t what this court does," said Meyer, who took nearly two hours to explain a decision that explored yoga`s Indian roots and philosophy.
The 30-minute programme in Encinitas, funded by the Jois Foundation, is composed of stretching and breathing exercises and is designed to help keep students active while learning basic relaxation techniques.
While the Jois Foundation is a proponent of Ashtanga yoga, an eight-limbed practice based in Hindu philosophy with the ultimate goal of moksha, or liberation, the programme for public schools is stripped of spiritual teachings, chanting, and even the Sanskrit language.
For example, the lotus position was renamed the "crisscross applesauce" pose.
Dean Broyles, an attorney for Encinitas parents Stephen and Jennifer Sedlock, said he would likely appeal.
"This case is not about whether yoga has health benefits, whether individuals may personally practice yoga, or whether individuals like or enjoy yoga.
"This case is simply about whether public schools may entangle themselves with religious organisations like the Jois Foundation and use the state`s coercive powers to promote a particular religious orthodoxy or religious agenda to young and impressionable school children. Religious freedom is not for sale to the highest bidder," Broyles said.
"This is not the end of the road for this case or the last word regarding the fate of yoga in public education-this is only the beginning," he said in a statement.
The lawsuit was the result of the Encinitas Union School District`s (EUSD) decision to accept USD 533,720 from the K P Jois Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow