US court sets status hearing of Pak cabbie case on July 09
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, May 07, 2010, 12:59
  
Chicago: A court here set a status hearing for Pakistani-origin cab driver Raja Lahrasib Khan, charged with providing material support to al Qaeda, on July 09 by when the government said it will provide more information regarding evidence in the case to the defence.

Khan appeared on Thursday before US Judge James Zagel at the US District Court for a short "discovery hearing".

Prosecutors told the court that they have so far provided substantial information to the defence in the form of "several thousand pages of discovery, recording of telephone calls and other conversation between an undercover agent and Khan".

The judge scheduled a status hearing in the case for July 09, by when prosecutors said they will provide "additional discovery to the defendant".

Khan, wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, waived out to his wife and son who were present for the hearing, as he entered the courtroom.

He was seen talking to his lawyer Thomas Durkin during the hearing. The prosecutors and defence later held a closed door meeting with the Judge regarding discovery in the case.

Khan, 56 had last month pleaded not guilty to charges of providing material support and resources to al Qaeda.

He is also accused of having links with HuJI chief Ilyas Kashmiri, who along with LeT operative David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Rana, has been charged with plotting terror attacks in India and Denmark.

Since his March arrest, Khan has been in custody at the Metropolitan Correctional Centre, the same federal lock up that houses Headley and Rana and is being held without bond.

According to the complaint against him, he discussed attacking a stadium in the US with an undercover agent whom he also told that he has known al Qaeda operative Kashmiri for 15 years and has sent money to him to purchase weapons.

PTI


First Published: Friday, May 07, 2010, 12:59


comments powered by Disqus