US crash kills five family members; teen held
Los Angeles: Five members of a Southern California family were killed in southern Nevada when their van was rear-ended by an 18-year-old driver who was later arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, authorities said.
The dead were among seven family members who were in the van, authorities said. The other two, the 40-year-old female driver and a 15-year-old boy, were hospitalised in critical condition.
Jean Soriano of California was booked into the Clark County Detention Centre after he was treated and released at University Medical Centre in Las Vegas, Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Loy Hixson said.
The crash happened yesterday at about 3 A.M. On Interstate 15 near the Utah line. Soriano`s sport utility vehicle struck the van from behind, causing both vehicles to spin out of control and roll near Mesquite, some 130-km northeast of Las Vegas, investigators said.
A 23-year-old passenger in Soriano`s SUV was treated at the hospital and released. Authorities believe Soriano was returning from a visit with family in Utah to his home in California at the time of the wreck, Hixson said. They didn`t immediately release his hometown or the names or hometowns of the victims.
Beer bottles were found in the SUV, Hixson said, and a blood-alcohol test has been performed on Soriano, the results of which won`t be known for a couple of weeks.
Hixson said only two of the seven people in the van were wearing seatbelts. The five who were not buckled in were ejected, but one survived.
"Unfortunately, so many in the van weren`t wearing seatbelts, and some might have survived had they been wearing them," Hixson said. "We see it so many times where people can survive simply by having a seatbelt on."
The van was carrying a couple, their children and some aunts and uncles, he said. Killed were three men in their 40s, a teenage female and an adult female.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers