US crash kills five family members; teen held
Los Angeles: Five members of a Southern California family were killed in southern Nevada when their van was rear-ended by an 18-year-old driver who was later arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, authorities said.
The dead were among seven family members who were in the van, authorities said. The other two, the 40-year-old female driver and a 15-year-old boy, were hospitalised in critical condition.
Jean Soriano of California was booked into the Clark County Detention Centre after he was treated and released at University Medical Centre in Las Vegas, Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Loy Hixson said.
The crash happened yesterday at about 3 A.M. On Interstate 15 near the Utah line. Soriano`s sport utility vehicle struck the van from behind, causing both vehicles to spin out of control and roll near Mesquite, some 130-km northeast of Las Vegas, investigators said.
A 23-year-old passenger in Soriano`s SUV was treated at the hospital and released. Authorities believe Soriano was returning from a visit with family in Utah to his home in California at the time of the wreck, Hixson said. They didn`t immediately release his hometown or the names or hometowns of the victims.
Beer bottles were found in the SUV, Hixson said, and a blood-alcohol test has been performed on Soriano, the results of which won`t be known for a couple of weeks.
Hixson said only two of the seven people in the van were wearing seatbelts. The five who were not buckled in were ejected, but one survived.
"Unfortunately, so many in the van weren`t wearing seatbelts, and some might have survived had they been wearing them," Hixson said. "We see it so many times where people can survive simply by having a seatbelt on."
The van was carrying a couple, their children and some aunts and uncles, he said. Killed were three men in their 40s, a teenage female and an adult female.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof