US criticises Ethiopian decision to jam VOA service
Washington: The US on Friday opposed Ethiopia`s decision to jam Voice of America`s (VOA) service in Amheric language after a "baseless" allegation that the radio station was engaged in "destabilising propaganda" and asked it to protect the universal and fundamental right of freedom of expression.
In a statement, the State Department condemned Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi’s comparison of VOA`s programming to Radio Mille Collines of Rwanda.
"Comparing a respected and professional news service to a group that called for genocide in Rwanda is a baseless and inflammatory accusation that seeks only to deflect attention away from the core issue," State Department Acting Spokesman Gordon Duguid said.
"The prime minister may disagree with news carried in Voice of America`s Amharic Service broadcasts; however, a decision to jam VOA broadcasts contradicts the government of Ethiopia`s frequent public commitments to freedom of the press," he said.
The Ethiopian government had stopped VOA`s broadcasts in Amheric alleging that the radio station was engaging in "destabilising propaganda".
Duguid noted that the Ethiopian Constitution states that all citizens have the right to freedom of expression "without any interference" and that this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, "regardless of frontiers”.
The Constitution further states that freedom of the press shall specifically include prohibition of any form of censorship. "We look to the Government of Ethiopia to abide by its Constitution," Duguid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray