US decision to arm rebels `very dangerous`: Syrian FM
Johannesburg: Syrian foreign minister has said the decision by the United States and its allies to arm rebels in Syria is `very dangerous`.
Walid al-Moallem said the move will only prolong the violence and killing in the war-ravaged country.
Al-Moallem said sending more weapons to the opposition would also hinder efforts to convene a peace conference in Geneva, which will be conferred to work on a negotiated solution, news24 reports.
According to the report, he said Syria was ready to take part in the conference, but added President Bashar al-Assad will not step down. His resignation is a key opposition demand to be raised in any talks with Damascus.
Al-Moallem spoke two days after an 11-nation group, including the US met in Qatar and agreed to step up military and other assistance to the Syrian rebels.
He said arming the rebels is a dangerous decision because it aims at prolonging the crisis, prolonging the violence and killing and encouraging terrorism, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- End of an era! Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.8 billion
- Leader of Opposition in Goa Assembly, Pratapsinh Rane, death penalty for drug peddlers
- AAP to move Delhi High Court against arrests of MLAs in 'false cases'
- Varun Dhawan reacts to Salman Khan's acquittal
- Rio Olympics: Sushil Kumar backs 'younger brother' Narsingh Yadav, but hurt by being dragged in 'conspiracy' controversy