US decision to arm rebels `very dangerous`: Syrian FM
Johannesburg: Syrian foreign minister has said the decision by the United States and its allies to arm rebels in Syria is `very dangerous`.
Walid al-Moallem said the move will only prolong the violence and killing in the war-ravaged country.
Al-Moallem said sending more weapons to the opposition would also hinder efforts to convene a peace conference in Geneva, which will be conferred to work on a negotiated solution, news24 reports.
According to the report, he said Syria was ready to take part in the conference, but added President Bashar al-Assad will not step down. His resignation is a key opposition demand to be raised in any talks with Damascus.
Al-Moallem spoke two days after an 11-nation group, including the US met in Qatar and agreed to step up military and other assistance to the Syrian rebels.
He said arming the rebels is a dangerous decision because it aims at prolonging the crisis, prolonging the violence and killing and encouraging terrorism, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves