US decision to arm rebels `very dangerous`: Syrian FM
Johannesburg: Syrian foreign minister has said the decision by the United States and its allies to arm rebels in Syria is `very dangerous`.
Walid al-Moallem said the move will only prolong the violence and killing in the war-ravaged country.
Al-Moallem said sending more weapons to the opposition would also hinder efforts to convene a peace conference in Geneva, which will be conferred to work on a negotiated solution, news24 reports.
According to the report, he said Syria was ready to take part in the conference, but added President Bashar al-Assad will not step down. His resignation is a key opposition demand to be raised in any talks with Damascus.
Al-Moallem spoke two days after an 11-nation group, including the US met in Qatar and agreed to step up military and other assistance to the Syrian rebels.
He said arming the rebels is a dangerous decision because it aims at prolonging the crisis, prolonging the violence and killing and encouraging terrorism, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata