US decision to arm rebels `very dangerous`: Syrian FM
Johannesburg: Syrian foreign minister has said the decision by the United States and its allies to arm rebels in Syria is `very dangerous`.
Walid al-Moallem said the move will only prolong the violence and killing in the war-ravaged country.
Al-Moallem said sending more weapons to the opposition would also hinder efforts to convene a peace conference in Geneva, which will be conferred to work on a negotiated solution, news24 reports.
According to the report, he said Syria was ready to take part in the conference, but added President Bashar al-Assad will not step down. His resignation is a key opposition demand to be raised in any talks with Damascus.
Al-Moallem spoke two days after an 11-nation group, including the US met in Qatar and agreed to step up military and other assistance to the Syrian rebels.
He said arming the rebels is a dangerous decision because it aims at prolonging the crisis, prolonging the violence and killing and encouraging terrorism, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Abhishek Bachchan's 'family' birthday—See pics