US decision to arm rebels `very dangerous`: Syrian FM
Johannesburg: Syrian foreign minister has said the decision by the United States and its allies to arm rebels in Syria is `very dangerous`.
Walid al-Moallem said the move will only prolong the violence and killing in the war-ravaged country.
Al-Moallem said sending more weapons to the opposition would also hinder efforts to convene a peace conference in Geneva, which will be conferred to work on a negotiated solution, news24 reports.
According to the report, he said Syria was ready to take part in the conference, but added President Bashar al-Assad will not step down. His resignation is a key opposition demand to be raised in any talks with Damascus.
Al-Moallem spoke two days after an 11-nation group, including the US met in Qatar and agreed to step up military and other assistance to the Syrian rebels.
He said arming the rebels is a dangerous decision because it aims at prolonging the crisis, prolonging the violence and killing and encouraging terrorism, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?