US declaring Syrian rebel group as terrorist body
Washington: The Obama administration is declaring a Syrian rebel group with alleged ties to al Qaeda as a terrorist organisation. It is an effort to blunt the influence of extremists as the US steps up cooperation with the Syrian opposition.
The State Department`s action blocks Jabhat al-Nusra`s assets in the US and bars Americans from doing business with the group.
The move hasn`t been announced officially but was included in the Federal Register today. The department said the group was part of al Qaeda in Iraq.
Jabhat al-Nusra has claimed responsibility for suicide bombings on Syrian government targets, raising fears of growing Islamic extremism among the opposition.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is travelling to North Africa this week to try to bolster moderates hoping to end Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority