US Defence Secretary calls French counterpart to discuss Iraq
Washington: US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has called his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian to discuss the situation in Iraq where Islamic militants have gained control over a large part of the territory.
"Secretary Hagel provided Minister Le Drian an update on the situation in Iraq, to include the political dynamics in Baghdad and a general sense of the security environment," the Pentagon said yesterday.
The two leaders also discussed the deep US-French defence cooperation in Africa, as well as preparations for the NATO Summit in Wales in September.
The two leaders agreed to keep in close contact on broad range of security issues and to speak again soon, it said.
Militants have recently seized the city of Tikrit as part of a sweeping jihadist-led offencive that has overrun large areas of five provinces since it began last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre