US defence secretary to visit China in September
Beijing: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta will visit China in mid-September, the defence ministry said here on Thursday.
The Pentagon chief`s visit, which follows his Chinese counterpart General Liang Guanglie`s visit to Washington in May, is part of this year`s bilateral military-to-military exchanges, said Geng Yansheng, the spokesperson for the defence ministry.
The two militaries will conduct exchanges on the mechanism for bilateral contact, military academies and other professional fields, and they will hold joint anti-piracy maritime exercises, Geng said.
Panetta`s visit will come after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visits China on September 4-5.
According to Geng, Liang is visiting Sri Lanka, India and Laos from August 29 to September 9, during which he will meet with state leaders, defence officials and military leaders of the three countries.
Liang`s visit to Sri Lanka will be the first for a Chinese defence minister and his visit to India will mark the first such visit in eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Attack on Istanbul airport inhuman: PM Narendra Modi
- Spine-chilling video of road rage incident in Hong Kong: Watch
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung, Gau Raksha Dal claims they were 'cleansed' of their 'sins'
- Katrina Kaif or Jacqueline Fernandez – Who will be chosen by Salman Khan?
- Do you know what is the FIRST thing Salman Khan asks when he meets someone? Click here