US defence secretary to visit China in September
Beijing: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta will visit China in mid-September, the defence ministry said here on Thursday.
The Pentagon chief`s visit, which follows his Chinese counterpart General Liang Guanglie`s visit to Washington in May, is part of this year`s bilateral military-to-military exchanges, said Geng Yansheng, the spokesperson for the defence ministry.
The two militaries will conduct exchanges on the mechanism for bilateral contact, military academies and other professional fields, and they will hold joint anti-piracy maritime exercises, Geng said.
Panetta`s visit will come after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visits China on September 4-5.
According to Geng, Liang is visiting Sri Lanka, India and Laos from August 29 to September 9, during which he will meet with state leaders, defence officials and military leaders of the three countries.
Liang`s visit to Sri Lanka will be the first for a Chinese defence minister and his visit to India will mark the first such visit in eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought