US defence secretary to visit China in September
Beijing: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta will visit China in mid-September, the defence ministry said here on Thursday.
The Pentagon chief`s visit, which follows his Chinese counterpart General Liang Guanglie`s visit to Washington in May, is part of this year`s bilateral military-to-military exchanges, said Geng Yansheng, the spokesperson for the defence ministry.
The two militaries will conduct exchanges on the mechanism for bilateral contact, military academies and other professional fields, and they will hold joint anti-piracy maritime exercises, Geng said.
Panetta`s visit will come after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visits China on September 4-5.
According to Geng, Liang is visiting Sri Lanka, India and Laos from August 29 to September 9, during which he will meet with state leaders, defence officials and military leaders of the three countries.
Liang`s visit to Sri Lanka will be the first for a Chinese defence minister and his visit to India will mark the first such visit in eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!