US defends deal to use Colombian bases
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sought to reassure skeptical Latin American countries about US intentions in negotiating access to military bases in Colombia.
Clinton and visiting Colombian Foreign Minister Jaime Bermudez said the two countries expected to sign a defence cooperation agreement soon that will boost their longstanding military ties.
I want to be clear about what this agreement does and does not. First: The agreement does not create US bases in Colombia, it does provide US access to Colombian bases," Clinton said after a meeting with Bermudez.
The top US diplomat said the governments in Washington and Bogota hoped to sign the agreement "in the near future."
The deal, finalised last week, is expected to give the US access to three Colombian air bases, two Navy bases and two Army bases.
Leftist leaders in Venezuela and Ecuador, which border Colombia, have loudly denounced the agreement as a ruse to establish bases that threaten their governments.
The US plans also have raised concerns among more moderate Latin American leaders.
And in Colombia, the government has found itself on the defensive over whether the agreement would give US troops immunity from prosecution in Colombian courts.
Clinton sought to counter some of these concerns on Tuesday, stating that the move was aimed at targeting groups inside Colombia.
"I certainly hope that anyone who is speaking out about the agreement will take the time to understand that this is built on years of agreements between the United States and Colombia.
"This agreement does not pertain to other countries. This is about the bilateral cooperation between the United States and Colombia regarding security matters within Colombia.
"It will allow us to continue working together to meet the challenges posed by narco-traffickers, terrorists, and other illegal armed groups in Colombia," she said, adding, "These threats are real."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Watch this video! Your stomach will churn as man puts 2 live vampire bats in mouth
- WATCH: On this day in 1983, Kapil Dev's India were crowned world champion
- `Narasimha Rao used IB to keep an eye on Sonia Gandhi after Babri Masjid demolition`
- Iceland elects new president in vote eclipsed by Euros, Brexit
- We don't need people like Mukhtar Ansari in party: Akhilesh Yadav