US delivers Hellfire missiles, ammunition to Iraq
Baghdad: The US embassy to Iraq says that the United States has delivered 100 Hellfire missiles, along with assault rifles and ammunition as part of its anti-terrorism assistance to the country.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the US embassy said the delivery was made earlier this month in order to help bolster Iraq forces fighting a breakaway al-Qaida group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
The statement promised to send more weapons to Iraq in the coming weeks.
Since late December, Iraq`s western cities have seen fierce clashes pitting government security forces and their allies from tribal Sunni militias against al-Qaeda-linked militants and other insurgent groups.
The insurgents hold the city of Fallujah and parts of the Anbar provincial capital, Ramadi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list