US demands end to Russian intervention in Ukraine
United Nations: The United States has demanded an end to Russian intervention in Ukraine and the immediate deployment of international monitors at an emergency UN Security Council session.
The US ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, yesterday said the decision by Russian lawmakers to endorse military action in Ukraine was "as dangerous as it is destabilizing."
"This intervention is without legal basis, indeed it violates Russia`s commitment to protect the sovereignty territorial integrity and independence of Ukraine," she said.
"It is time for the Russian intervention in Ukraine to end. The Russian military must stand down," Power added.
"The aspirations of the Ukrainian people must be respected and political dialogue must be allowed to continue."
She called for the deployment of monitors from the UN and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe to Ukraine and backed a separate international mediation mission to Crimea.
The monitors would "provide transparency about the movement and activities of military and paramilitary forces in the region, and diffuse the tensions between different groups," Power said.
"Our paramount concerns are to end the confrontation and to find a solution that allows the Ukrainian people to determine their own destiny, their own government, their own future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi