US Democrat leader under fire for insulting Nikki Haley
New York: South Carolina`s Indian-American Republican Governor Nikki Haley was the target of a xenophobic comment by a rival Democrat leader at a party event.
"In about 18 months from now, hopefully he`ll have sent Nikki Haley back to wherever the hell she came from," South Carolina Democratic Chairman Dick Harpootlian said while introducing the state`s Democratic Party gubernatorial candidate Vincent Sheheen at the Jefferson-Jackson dinner on Friday, shortly before US Vice President Joe Biden took the stage.
The comment drew cheers and laughs from the audience in attendance, but Harpootlian is now facing harsh criticism, given Haley`s Indian heritage.
His remarks implied that if Governor Haley loses the election she would go back to India, the place of her ancestors.
"Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend coming from the South Carolina Democratic Party," Governor Haley`s spokesman Rob Godfrey said in a statement.
"Fortunately, the people of South Carolina are better than Harpootlian and his ilk, and we have faith that they will see right through their consistent attempts to play to the lowest common denominator," he said.
However, the embattled Democrat leader later clarified that he was referring to Lexington County when he said "wherever the hell she came from."
Before being elected governor in 2010, 41-year-old Haley lived in Lexington County in the suburban Columbia area and represented the area in the state house.
Her parents were Sikh immigrants to the US.
At last year`s national Democratic convention, Harpootlian had compared Haley to Adolf Hitler`s mistress, saying the governor "was down in the bunker a la Eva Braun."
He refused to apologise for that remark.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed