US denies role in rape charge against WikiLeaks founder
Washington: The Pentagon has termed as "ridiculous" the notion that its officials were involved in recent rape allegations against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
Recently, Swedish authorities had issued an arrest warrant against Assange but revoked it soon after.
Any thought that the Defence Department may be part of such a conspiracy (rape allegations against Assange) is "absurd", Pentagon spokesperson Bryan Whitman said, adding, "No. That`s ridiculous."
WikiLeaks, a whistleblower website, had recently published thousands of classified Afghan war documents on its website, which the Pentagon says has harmed the lives of hundreds and thousands of its people.
Earlier, Pentagon had asked WikiLeaks to return back all these documents as these are its properties. The Pentagon along with the department of justice is currently probing the incident.
News reports had quoted Assange as charging that the allegations were part of a "smear campaign" after his website posted tens of thousands of classified US military war records.
WikiLeaks has an additional 15,000 documents it plans to post, he said.
The spokesperson also demand that WikiLeaks remove the posted documents, many of which contain the names of US troops and Afghan nationals who support them.
"I think we`ve made our position very clear, that this stolen property should be returned immediately," Whitman said.
"The information on the Web should be taken down. There should be no further posting of any information, and the department is not interested in any sort of minimisation or sanitation exercise," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 10th X Results 2016 CBSE Board: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in 10th X class exam result 2016 CBSE Board to be announced soon
- Track your lost Android phone in these steps; remotely lock or erase data
- MASTI full on! Parineeti Chopra flaunts ample strength on the sets of 'Meri Pyaari Bindu' – Watch
- Royal couple Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor Khan spotted on the streets of London! – Watch video
- Worrying signs: Indian student studying in US spotted in ISIS video, says report