US disappointed over sentencing of 3 punk rockers
Washington: The US on Friday said that it was disappointed over the sentencing of three feminist punk rockers in Russia for protesting President Vladimir Putin.
"The US is disappointed by the verdict, including the disproportionate sentences that were granted. While we understand the group`s behaviour was offensive to some, we have serious concerns about the way these young women have been treated by the Russian judicial system," White House Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters.
A Moscow court today handed a two-year jail sentence to three Pussy Riot band members - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich - after holding them guilty of "hooliganism motivated by religious hatred".
The State Department too expressed its concern over the sentencing.
"The United States is concerned about both the verdict and the disproportionate sentences handed down by a Moscow court in the case against the members of the band Pussy Riot and the negative impact on freedom of expression in Russia," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.
"We urge Russian authorities to review this case and ensure that the right to freedom of expression is upheld," Nuland said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next