US dismantles most powerful nuclear bomb
Washington: Technicians in Texas closed a
chapter on the Cold War, dismantling the oldest, biggest and
most powerful nuclear bomb in the US arsenal, officials said.
The last B-53 bomb -- built in 1962, the year of the
Cuban missile crisis -- was dismantled yesterday at the Pantex
facility in Amarillo, the only place in the United States that
still builds, maintains and dismantles nuclear weapons.
Grey in colour, weighing 4,500 kilograms and as big as a
small car, it had the power to wipe out an entire metropolitan
area with its nine-megaton yield when dropped from a B-52
By comparison, the atomic bomb that destroyed the
Japanese city of Hiroshima in the final days of World War II
packed a yield of 12 kilotons, or 0.012 megatons. The bomb
killed more than 100,000 people.
"It`s significant in the sense that it`s the last of
these multi-megaton weapons that the nuclear powers used to
build during the height of the Cold War," said Hans Kirstensen
of the Federation of American Scientists.
"This is the end of the era of these monster weapons," he
Dismantling the B-53 bomb -- retired from service in 1997
-- involved separating 300 pounds of high explosive from the
uranium "pit" at the heart of the weapon, Pantex spokesman
Greg Cunningham said.
"The world is a safer place with this dismantlement,"
Thomas D`Agostino, director of the National Nuclear Security
Administration, said in a Pantex statement.
"The B-53 was a weapon developed in another time for a
different world" and its "elimination" marks a major step in
President Barack Obama`s efforts to scale back the role of
nuclear weapons in US security policy, he said.
Last May, the United States revealed for the first time
the actual size of its nuclear stockpile -- a total of 5,113
warheads as of September 30, 2009, the Pentagon announced.
That figure -- a 75 per cent reduction from 1989 when the
Berlin Wall fell -- included active warheads ready for
deployment at short notice, as well as "inactive" warheads
maintained at a depot in a "non-operational status."
Under a new strategic arms limitation treaty (START)
treaty, agreed in April last year, the United States and
Russia -- which hold nearly all nuclear weapons -- pledged to
reduce their arsenals to 1,550 warheads each.
The B-53 bomb was so big that a B-52 bomber could only
carry two of them. Each was fitted with parachutes to control
their descent, according to videos made public by the National
Nuclear Safety Administration.
"This particular weapon should have been phased out and
dismantled a long time ago," said Kirstensten, director of the
nuclear information project at the Federation of American
Scientists in Washington. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!