US drone attack kills seven in Pakistan
Miranshah: A US drone aircraft fired three missiles into Pakistan`s North Waziristan region on the Afghan border Saturday, killing seven militants, Pakistani intelligence officials and residents said.
The strike targeted a militant compound in the town of Mir Ali, some 24 km (15 miles) east of Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan. The region is known as a hotbed of Taliban and al Qaeda militants.
"The place where the missiles struck is still on fire and militants have surrounded the area and were not letting anyone close to the site of the attack," said an intelligence official who declined to be identified.
"We have reports of seven militants killed in the attack."
The United States has stepped up missile strikes in Pakistan`s northwestern region since a Jordanian suicide bomber killed seven CIA employees at a U.S. base across the border in Afghanistan`s eastern province of Khost in late December.
Most of the attacks this year have been in North Waziristan.
U.S. ally Pakistan officially objects to the drone strikes, saying they are a violation of its sovereignty and fuel anti-U.S. feeling, which complicates Pakistan`s efforts against militancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Attack on Istanbul airport inhuman: PM Narendra Modi
- Spine-chilling video of road rage incident in Hong Kong: Watch
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung, Gau Raksha Dal claims they were 'cleansed' of their 'sins'
- Katrina Kaif or Jacqueline Fernandez – Who will be chosen by Salman Khan?
- Do you know what is the FIRST thing Salman Khan asks when he meets someone? Click here