US drone attack kills seven in Pakistan
Miranshah: A US drone aircraft fired three missiles into Pakistan`s North Waziristan region on the Afghan border Saturday, killing seven militants, Pakistani intelligence officials and residents said.
The strike targeted a militant compound in the town of Mir Ali, some 24 km (15 miles) east of Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan. The region is known as a hotbed of Taliban and al Qaeda militants.
"The place where the missiles struck is still on fire and militants have surrounded the area and were not letting anyone close to the site of the attack," said an intelligence official who declined to be identified.
"We have reports of seven militants killed in the attack."
The United States has stepped up missile strikes in Pakistan`s northwestern region since a Jordanian suicide bomber killed seven CIA employees at a U.S. base across the border in Afghanistan`s eastern province of Khost in late December.
Most of the attacks this year have been in North Waziristan.
U.S. ally Pakistan officially objects to the drone strikes, saying they are a violation of its sovereignty and fuel anti-U.S. feeling, which complicates Pakistan`s efforts against militancy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'