US drone strike in Pak kills senior al Qaeda leader, 3 others
Islamabad: A senior al Qaeda leader and three others were killed on Sunday in a US drone strike in Pakistan`s restive North Waziristan tribal region, the second time a top terrorist has died in an attack by the CIA-operated spy planes in less than a week.
Mohammad Ahmed Almansoor was killed when drones targeted a compound in Tabi village located a short distance from Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency, security officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
Some reports said the three others killed in the attack were members of Almansoor`s family. Local residents said they had seen several drones hovering over the area after the attack.
On Thursday, another al Qaeda commander, Sheik Khalid bin Abdel Rehman al-Hussainan alias Abu Zaid al-Kuwaiti, was killed when in a drone strike that targeted a compound in Mir Ali town of North Waziristan Agency, security officials said.
Earlier this year, Al-Kuwaiti had replaced Abu Yahya al-Libi, al Qaeda`s second-in-command who too was killed in a drone strike in North Waziristan in June.
Al-Kuwaiti was buried in a village near Mir Ali on Friday. His wife and daughter too were wounded in the drone attack. His wife later died in a hospital in Miranshah.
The drone strikes have killed several senior al Qaeda and Taliban leaders in the tribal belt over the past few years.
Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden was killed in the US military raid in the Pakistani town of Abbottabad in May last year.
The US has continued its drone campaign in Pakistan`s lawless tribal belt, especially North and South Waziristan, despite strong protests from Islamabad, which describes the attacks as counterproductive and a violation of the country`s sovereignty.
On Thursday, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf conveyed Pakistan`s opposition to drone strikes to US Ambassador Richard Olson and said the two sides should find "alternative ways to eliminate terrorists".
The premier met the envoy hours after a drone strike in North Waziristan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks