US drone strike killed Somali insurgent
Nairobi: Somali insurgents say that a US drone strike killed an al Qaeda official fighting alongside them in Somalia.
A statement from the insurgent al-Kataib media foundation late Saturday says that three missiles fired from an unmanned aerial vehicle hit Bilal al-Berjawi`s car on the outskirts of Mogadishu. Berjawi was a Lebanese and British citizen who grew up in West London.
The strike was confirmed by a US official in Washington. He asked for anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.
Berjawi was a close associate of late al Qaeda operative Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, who directed the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference