US drone strike kills 2 al Qaeda members in Yemen
Aden: Two leading members of the Yemen-based al Qaeda branch were killed when a US drone pounded their vehicle in Yemen`s southeastern province of Hadramout, a security official said on Thursday.
The US drone fired two missiles on a moving pick-up truck which was passing through a main road near Shibam area, in Hadramout`s valley late Wednesday night, the local security official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The two militants were on the Yemeni government’s most wanted list for involvement in several terrorist attacks against domestic facilities, the official said.
A witness told Xinhua anonymously that "rockets landed on a small vehicle last night in Shibam area ... we later saw two burned bodies lying next to the damaged car."
The al Qaeda group has no comment on the attacks yet.
On May 06, a US drone attack killed Fahd al-Quso, a prominent al Qaeda figure who was wanted for the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen.
In recent months, US drones have increased air raids in Yemen`s southern regions, after the White House announced that a plot by the Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula to blow up a US airliner had been successful thwarted.
Hundreds of the al Qaeda group still hold several cities in southern Yemen, but they have pulled out of some strategic bastions after fighting with government troops in the southern Abyan province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state