US Dy Secy of State in China on diplomatic mission
Beijing: A senior US diplomat was due in China Tuesday for talks aimed at getting Sino-US relations back on track, with tensions high over US arms sales to Taiwan and a White House visit by the Dalai Lama.
US Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg will also focus on efforts to bring North Korea back to stalled nuclear disarmament negotiations, and try to persuade Beijing to back new sanctions against Iran over its atomic programme.
Steinberg, who will be accompanied by Jeffrey Bader, Obama`s top Asia adviser on the National Security Council, will head to Tokyo on Thursday for talks with Japanese officials before heading home.
State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said Beijing and Washington needed to put aside their differences -- over everything from Taiwan and Tibet to Internet freedom and the value of the yuan -- to move forward.
"We`ve gone through a bit of a bumpy path here and I think there`s an interest, both within the United States and China, to get back to business as usual as quickly as possible," Crowley told reporters on Monday.
The spokesman said the visit by Steinberg and Bader offered an opportunity to "refocus on the future" of relations between the US and China, the world`s largest and third-largest economies.
When he took office in January 2009, US President Barack Obama promised to broaden the Sino-US relationship. In July last year, he said that relationship would "shape the 21st century".
The US President made his maiden official visit to China with much fanfare in November.
But since then ties have faltered, with Beijing angry over the January approval of a 6.4-billion-dollar arms package to Taiwan and Obama`s meeting last month at the White House with the Dalai Lama.
China considers Taiwan, which split from the mainland at the end of a civil war in 1949, part of its territory awaiting reunification.
China vilifies the Dalai Lama, Tibet`s exiled spiritual leader who fled his homeland in 1959, as a separatist. Sino-US ties have also been affected by Internet giant Google`s threats to pull out of the emerging Asian market over cyberattacks and government web censorship, and a variety of trade and currency issues.
"We have a very broad, deep, complex relationship with China. There are many areas where we have achieved a consensus view. North Korea would be a great example of that," Crowley said.
"There are some areas where we do not yet have a convergent view. Iran might be an example of that," he added, noting that both subjects were on Steinberg`s agenda in Beijing.
The six-party talks on ending North Korea`s nuclear weapons drive, hosted by China, have faltered since Pyongyang stormed out in April last year, a month before staging a second nuclear test.
Pyongyang says it cannot return until UN sanctions are lifted and it receives a US commitment to discuss a formal peace pact, replacing the armistice which ended the 1950-1953 war on the Korean peninsula.
On Iran, the United States and China are divided, with Washington pushing for tough new sanctions against Tehran over its disputed nuclear programme, but Beijing insisting more talks are the answer.
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said Saturday that he hoped 2010 would not be "an unpeaceful year" for trade and economic relations with the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in