US eases Iranian student visa rules
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Friday the United States is easing visa terms for Iranian students here as part of efforts to support their aspirations for political change back home.
In what she called a "big step forward" in the Obama administration support`s for Iran`s people, Hillary said Iranian students and exchange visitors are now eligible for two-year, multiple entry visas.
"This gives young Iranians the opportunity to return home for family events, to participate in internships, to travel outside the United States -- and they won`t need to get a new visa every time," she said in a statement.
The chief US diplomat said many Iranian students and Iranian Americans had asked for a change to the old policy where students and exchange visitors were eligible only for three-month, single-entry visas.
"We want more dialogue and more exchange with those of you who are shaping Iran`s future. We want to be able to share what we think is great about America," Hillary said.
"Because as long as the Iranian government continues to stifle your potential, we will stand with you. We will support your aspirations, and your rights," Hillary said.
"And we will continue to look for new ways to fuel more opportunities for real change in Iran," she said.
The United States has amplified support for political change in Iran since Iranians protested the re-election of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in June 2009 polls marred by massive allegations of fraud.
It has accused the Iranian leadership of hypocrisy for supporting pro-democracy protests now sweeping Arab countries while violently crushing political dissent at home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh