US-Egypt military exercise cancelled
Washington: The State Department says this year`s joint military exercises involving Egypt, the United States and other coalition nations have been cancelled as Egypt moves away from the regime of ousted president Hosni Mubarak.
The department said on Wednesday the Egyptian government and the US mutually agreed to postpone the 2011 exercise "in light of ongoing transition events”.
Egypt and the US also agreed to start formal planning in June 2012 for the next instalment of what is called Exercise Bright Star in 2013.
Exercise Bright Star is a biennial, multinational exercise sponsored by the US Central Command. It is designed to improve military-to-military relationships among the US, Egypt and other nations, including France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Pakistan, Turkey and Britain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'