US-Egypt military exercise cancelled
Washington: The State Department says this year`s joint military exercises involving Egypt, the United States and other coalition nations have been cancelled as Egypt moves away from the regime of ousted president Hosni Mubarak.
The department said on Wednesday the Egyptian government and the US mutually agreed to postpone the 2011 exercise "in light of ongoing transition events”.
Egypt and the US also agreed to start formal planning in June 2012 for the next instalment of what is called Exercise Bright Star in 2013.
Exercise Bright Star is a biennial, multinational exercise sponsored by the US Central Command. It is designed to improve military-to-military relationships among the US, Egypt and other nations, including France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Pakistan, Turkey and Britain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'