US elections: Storm-wrecked NY may get extra day of voting
New York: For the first time, voters in some counties here may get an extra day to vote if disruptions caused by Superstorm Sandy prevent enough people from showing up at the November 6 presidential polls, a state official has said.
County election officials could ask the New York state Board of Elections to allow polls to reopen for another day if the turnout on Tuesday is less than 25 per cent, state board spokesman Thomas Connolly said.
"To my knowledge this has never happened in New York," Connolly said. "Will the turnout be low? It`s hard to say -- probably, it all depends if people have other priorities."
The state board would consider the request and, if approved, a second day of voting would be scheduled, he was quoted as saying by CNN.
Polls would be open for 11 hours on the second day, with only those who were eligible to vote on Tuesday allowed to cast ballots.
Nassau County Elections Commissioner William Biamonte said he expects a "significant drop off" in the turnout of Long Island voters.
"A lot of people that are displaced ... They`re worried about getting their lives back, and whether they`re going to go back to an area where they`ve lost power, or their home has been lost, rather than take care of what their immediate needs are, that`s a big question," Biamonte said.
Getting polling sites ready has been a "slow, tortuous process" since Sandy hit the county, he said.
Election officials relocated and consolidated 40 polling sites, while another 30 will be powered by portable generators, he said.
The New York City Board of Elections has decided to temporarily relocate or combine some polling locations across all five boroughs serving 143,000 voters because of damage from Sandy, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said yesterday.
Bloomberg, who called the election board "dysfunctional," said he was concerned about polls being opened on time on Tuesday and poll workers and voters knowing where to go.
"The difficulties they`ve had in planning for Tuesday further underscores that," he said.
New York City officials yesterday said that they faced the daunting challenge of finding homes for as many as 40,000 people who were left homeless after the devastation of last week`s storm.
The number of customers without power in New York was over 1.8 million, the Energy Department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi