US elementary school evacuated in US after shots reported
Miami (US): Scores of children were safely evacuated from an elementary school in the state of Georgia on Tuesday as police responded to reports of shots being fired and arrested a suspect, authorities said.
No one was reported injured in the incident involving an "active gunman" in the Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy in DeKalb County, Georgia near Atlanta.
"There have been reports of shots fired. There are no injuries," Melvin Johnson, the DeKalb County school board chairman, told WSB TV Atlanta.
Teachers helped evacuate the school while police moved inside the building and apprehend the suspected gunman, who was not immediately identified.
Children were then moved to the parking lot of a nearby Walmart superstore to be reunited with their parents.
As the shooting unfolded, US President Barack Obama was coincidentally tweeting about the need to strengthen US gun laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’