US elementary school evacuated in US after shots reported
Miami (US): Scores of children were safely evacuated from an elementary school in the state of Georgia on Tuesday as police responded to reports of shots being fired and arrested a suspect, authorities said.
No one was reported injured in the incident involving an "active gunman" in the Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy in DeKalb County, Georgia near Atlanta.
"There have been reports of shots fired. There are no injuries," Melvin Johnson, the DeKalb County school board chairman, told WSB TV Atlanta.
Teachers helped evacuate the school while police moved inside the building and apprehend the suspected gunman, who was not immediately identified.
Children were then moved to the parking lot of a nearby Walmart superstore to be reunited with their parents.
As the shooting unfolded, US President Barack Obama was coincidentally tweeting about the need to strengthen US gun laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre