US embassy in Chile apologizes for rude tweet
Santiago: The US embassy in Chile has apologized for a tweet indicating it was bored or irritated by former Chilean president Michelle Bachelet`s bid to run in the November presidential elections.
"Our apologies for the last tweet. An unauthorized user sent the message from this account," the embassy said via its official Twitter account.
The offensive tweet was erased, but the apology was still there Thursday, reported Xinhua.
The erased message read: "Bachelet, Bachelet, Bachelet ... Is there no other news?"
Bachelet, the first woman to lead Chile from 2006 to 2010, was until recently head of UN Women, the United Nations agency in charge of women`s affairs.
She returned to Chile Wednesday to seek a second term in the Nov 17 elections as the candidate of the Left-leaning opposition. Polls show she leads other potential candidates.
Chile`s national media is abuzz with the election bid, and the US embassy`s reaction caused ripples through social networks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site