US embassy in Chile apologizes for rude tweet
Santiago: The US embassy in Chile has apologized for a tweet indicating it was bored or irritated by former Chilean president Michelle Bachelet`s bid to run in the November presidential elections.
"Our apologies for the last tweet. An unauthorized user sent the message from this account," the embassy said via its official Twitter account.
The offensive tweet was erased, but the apology was still there Thursday, reported Xinhua.
The erased message read: "Bachelet, Bachelet, Bachelet ... Is there no other news?"
Bachelet, the first woman to lead Chile from 2006 to 2010, was until recently head of UN Women, the United Nations agency in charge of women`s affairs.
She returned to Chile Wednesday to seek a second term in the Nov 17 elections as the candidate of the Left-leaning opposition. Polls show she leads other potential candidates.
Chile`s national media is abuzz with the election bid, and the US embassy`s reaction caused ripples through social networks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself