US embassy in Chile apologizes for rude tweet
Santiago: The US embassy in Chile has apologized for a tweet indicating it was bored or irritated by former Chilean president Michelle Bachelet`s bid to run in the November presidential elections.
"Our apologies for the last tweet. An unauthorized user sent the message from this account," the embassy said via its official Twitter account.
The offensive tweet was erased, but the apology was still there Thursday, reported Xinhua.
The erased message read: "Bachelet, Bachelet, Bachelet ... Is there no other news?"
Bachelet, the first woman to lead Chile from 2006 to 2010, was until recently head of UN Women, the United Nations agency in charge of women`s affairs.
She returned to Chile Wednesday to seek a second term in the Nov 17 elections as the candidate of the Left-leaning opposition. Polls show she leads other potential candidates.
Chile`s national media is abuzz with the election bid, and the US embassy`s reaction caused ripples through social networks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?