US embassy in Norway evacuated due to bomb scare
Oslo: The US Embassy in Norway was evacuated on Tuesday after its security staff found a suspicious object beneath a nearby automobile.
Norwegian police said the embassy and the surrounding area, including the royal palace, were cleared of people in the heart of Norway`s capital, and that a bomb squad with sniffer dogs was dispatched there.
"It`s a large area - around 500 meters (yards) surrounding the embassy," said police spokesman Martin Todnem, adding that police received a call from embassy security staff at 11.22 am (local time).
The NTB news agency reported that visitors to the royal place, the residence of the nation`s monarch, were also cleared, but that its staff members remained there.
The royal family was not in the palace at the time, the agency reported.
- Rahul Gandhi says 'happy to be targeted' as AgustaWestland deal continues to haunt Congress
- GOING VIRAL: Have you seen this 'love story' ad on PM Narendra Modi's ambitious 'Swachh Bharat' campaign? WATCH
- Transit of Mercury, May 9, 2016: Where, when and how to watch in India!
- Hrithik Roshan shares video where Katrina Kaif is singing! Watch it now
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders' Yusuf Pathan slams Sunil Gavaskar for calling RCB's bowling line-up as 'popatwadi attack'