US embassy in Norway evacuated due to bomb scare
Oslo: The US Embassy in Norway was evacuated on Tuesday after its security staff found a suspicious object beneath a nearby automobile.
Norwegian police said the embassy and the surrounding area, including the royal palace, were cleared of people in the heart of Norway`s capital, and that a bomb squad with sniffer dogs was dispatched there.
"It`s a large area - around 500 meters (yards) surrounding the embassy," said police spokesman Martin Todnem, adding that police received a call from embassy security staff at 11.22 am (local time).
The NTB news agency reported that visitors to the royal place, the residence of the nation`s monarch, were also cleared, but that its staff members remained there.
The royal family was not in the palace at the time, the agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins