US embassy in Norway evacuated due to bomb scare
Oslo: The US Embassy in Norway was evacuated on Tuesday after its security staff found a suspicious object beneath a nearby automobile.
Norwegian police said the embassy and the surrounding area, including the royal palace, were cleared of people in the heart of Norway`s capital, and that a bomb squad with sniffer dogs was dispatched there.
"It`s a large area - around 500 meters (yards) surrounding the embassy," said police spokesman Martin Todnem, adding that police received a call from embassy security staff at 11.22 am (local time).
The NTB news agency reported that visitors to the royal place, the residence of the nation`s monarch, were also cleared, but that its staff members remained there.
The royal family was not in the palace at the time, the agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez