US Embassy warns Americans of attacks in Greece
Athens: The United States has advised American citizens visiting Greek cities to beware of the possibility of "unprovoked harassment and violent attacks" against people who could be mistaken for foreign migrants.
Greece has seen an increase in racist violence over the past year, with dark-skinned migrants attacked by groups of men armed with metal bars, knives and wooden bats. Tens of thousands of migrants have also been rounded up by police in a government crackdown on illegal immigration.
In an update today to its travel advice, the embassy said US citizens most at risk are "those of African, Asian, Hispanic or Middle Eastern descent." The State Department`s travel section also said the embassy "has confirmed reports of US African-American citizens detained by police authorities conducting sweeps for illegal immigrants in Athens."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!