US Embassy warns Americans of attacks in Greece
Athens: The United States has advised American citizens visiting Greek cities to beware of the possibility of "unprovoked harassment and violent attacks" against people who could be mistaken for foreign migrants.
Greece has seen an increase in racist violence over the past year, with dark-skinned migrants attacked by groups of men armed with metal bars, knives and wooden bats. Tens of thousands of migrants have also been rounded up by police in a government crackdown on illegal immigration.
In an update today to its travel advice, the embassy said US citizens most at risk are "those of African, Asian, Hispanic or Middle Eastern descent." The State Department`s travel section also said the embassy "has confirmed reports of US African-American citizens detained by police authorities conducting sweeps for illegal immigrants in Athens."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani teamed up for 'Befikra' because of THIS actor?
- Kejriwal's Gujarat visit cancelled, triggers blame game between AAP, BJP
- Uproar in J&K Assembly over beef ban bill; Engineer Rashid, Congress MLAs stage walk-out
- Sushant Singh Rajput all set to travel to moon! - Here's how
- Istanbul terror attacks: Celebrities condemn brutal act