US Embassy warns Americans of attacks in Greece
Athens: The United States has advised American citizens visiting Greek cities to beware of the possibility of "unprovoked harassment and violent attacks" against people who could be mistaken for foreign migrants.
Greece has seen an increase in racist violence over the past year, with dark-skinned migrants attacked by groups of men armed with metal bars, knives and wooden bats. Tens of thousands of migrants have also been rounded up by police in a government crackdown on illegal immigration.
In an update today to its travel advice, the embassy said US citizens most at risk are "those of African, Asian, Hispanic or Middle Eastern descent." The State Department`s travel section also said the embassy "has confirmed reports of US African-American citizens detained by police authorities conducting sweeps for illegal immigrants in Athens."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India