US Embassy warns Americans of attacks in Greece
Athens: The United States has advised American citizens visiting Greek cities to beware of the possibility of "unprovoked harassment and violent attacks" against people who could be mistaken for foreign migrants.
Greece has seen an increase in racist violence over the past year, with dark-skinned migrants attacked by groups of men armed with metal bars, knives and wooden bats. Tens of thousands of migrants have also been rounded up by police in a government crackdown on illegal immigration.
In an update today to its travel advice, the embassy said US citizens most at risk are "those of African, Asian, Hispanic or Middle Eastern descent." The State Department`s travel section also said the embassy "has confirmed reports of US African-American citizens detained by police authorities conducting sweeps for illegal immigrants in Athens."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video