US encourages all to participate in Egypt polls
Washington: Calling for a prosperous and democratic future of Egypt, the US has said that it encourages all political parties and individuals with an interest in representing the country`s people to participate in elections.
"We think successful Parliamentary Elections will allow another opportunity for Egyptians to participate in the democratic process and have their voices heard. And so we continue to encourage not only participation but people to get out and vote as well," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters yesterday.
It is not the US position one way or another to say how the system should work, other than that it wants free, fair, open elections and as many parties to participate as can and for as many people to get out and vote, he said.
"We want a prosperous, democratic future for the Egyptian people where all universal human rights are respected for Egyptians of all different faiths, men and women alike. That`s the broad framework we`re working with Egypt, and the United States doesn`t take a position one way or another on who should govern Egypt," Ventrell said.
"We don`t pick leaders one way or another. What we really do is we work to help this democratic transition along, and that includes economic assistance, that includes advice as institutions are built up, rule of law, that kind of training and assistance," the State Department spokesperson said.
The elections are scheduled to start in April and will be staggered over a two-month period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees