US encourages all to participate in Egypt polls
Washington: Calling for a prosperous and democratic future of Egypt, the US has said that it encourages all political parties and individuals with an interest in representing the country`s people to participate in elections.
"We think successful Parliamentary Elections will allow another opportunity for Egyptians to participate in the democratic process and have their voices heard. And so we continue to encourage not only participation but people to get out and vote as well," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters yesterday.
It is not the US position one way or another to say how the system should work, other than that it wants free, fair, open elections and as many parties to participate as can and for as many people to get out and vote, he said.
"We want a prosperous, democratic future for the Egyptian people where all universal human rights are respected for Egyptians of all different faiths, men and women alike. That`s the broad framework we`re working with Egypt, and the United States doesn`t take a position one way or another on who should govern Egypt," Ventrell said.
"We don`t pick leaders one way or another. What we really do is we work to help this democratic transition along, and that includes economic assistance, that includes advice as institutions are built up, rule of law, that kind of training and assistance," the State Department spokesperson said.
The elections are scheduled to start in April and will be staggered over a two-month period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam