US envoy `coincidentally` at Beijing rally site
Beijing: US Ambassador Jon Huntsman was
spotted in an area of downtown Beijing where activists had
called for Middle East-style protests at the weekend, but the
embassy said Wednesday his presence was pure coincidence.
Chinese web users have posted photos and a video of
Huntsman standing outside a McDonald`s outlet in the central
Wangfujing shopping district -- one of 13 sites listed in a
web appeal for a homegrown "Jasmine Revolution".
Only a handful of protesters turned out on Sunday amid
a heavy security presence in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and
other cities across China, and the rallies ended without major
Huntsman and his family "were on their way to
Tiananmen Square and they walked to Wangfujing, and the fact
that that happened and they were there at the time was purely
coincidental," embassy spokesman Richard Buangan said.
"Let me stress again that he was with his family. They
were on a family outing and their presence there was
Following last week`s events, an online campaign has
urged people in 13 Chinese cities to rally every Sunday to
press for government transparency and free expression.
China`s government has indicated growing unease over
the wave of unrest in the Arab world, heavily censoring or
blocking media reports and online discussion of the upheaval,
which has toppled presidents in Tunisia and Egypt.
A few web users criticised the US envoy`s presence at
the scene in Beijing on Sunday, with one saying on www.m4.cn:
"Jon Huntsman, get out of China and back to the US!"
Huntsman, the former Republican governor of Utah and
one-time deputy US trade representative who took up his post
in China in August 2009, has said he will step down as of
He stirred speculation about a possible bid for the
Republican presidential nomination in 2012 with a Newsweek
interview late last year in which he suggested he had one
political run left in him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!