US envoy to hold talks with N Korea in Beijing
Washington: A US envoy will hold talks with
North Korea on its nuclear programme in Beijing next week, the first such negotiations since the death of the nation`s longtime leader Kim Jong Il.
US envoy on North Korea, Glyn Davies, will meet February 23 with North Korean First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan,
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters
It will be the third round of such bilateral talks since
last summer, aimed at restarting multination aid-for-disarmament negotiations on North Korea`s nuclear programme that it pulled out of in 2009.
But it will be the first such contact since Kim died
December 17 and power passed to his untested youngest son, Kim
Jong Un. It could signal the new regime`s willingness to deal
with Washington and address international concerns over its
nuclear and missile programmes.
Shortly the elder Kim died of a heart attack, wartime
enemies the US and impoverished North Korea appeared close to
a deal on food aid. The North was expected to suspend uranium
enrichment, the main hurdle to restarting the six-party talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand