US envoy to hold talks with N Korea in Beijing
Washington: A US envoy will hold talks with
North Korea on its nuclear programme in Beijing next week, the first such negotiations since the death of the nation`s longtime leader Kim Jong Il.
US envoy on North Korea, Glyn Davies, will meet February 23 with North Korean First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan,
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters
It will be the third round of such bilateral talks since
last summer, aimed at restarting multination aid-for-disarmament negotiations on North Korea`s nuclear programme that it pulled out of in 2009.
But it will be the first such contact since Kim died
December 17 and power passed to his untested youngest son, Kim
Jong Un. It could signal the new regime`s willingness to deal
with Washington and address international concerns over its
nuclear and missile programmes.
Shortly the elder Kim died of a heart attack, wartime
enemies the US and impoverished North Korea appeared close to
a deal on food aid. The North was expected to suspend uranium
enrichment, the main hurdle to restarting the six-party talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly