US envoy to hold talks with N Korea in Beijing
Washington: A US envoy will hold talks with
North Korea on its nuclear programme in Beijing next week, the first such negotiations since the death of the nation`s longtime leader Kim Jong Il.
US envoy on North Korea, Glyn Davies, will meet February 23 with North Korean First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan,
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters
It will be the third round of such bilateral talks since
last summer, aimed at restarting multination aid-for-disarmament negotiations on North Korea`s nuclear programme that it pulled out of in 2009.
But it will be the first such contact since Kim died
December 17 and power passed to his untested youngest son, Kim
Jong Un. It could signal the new regime`s willingness to deal
with Washington and address international concerns over its
nuclear and missile programmes.
Shortly the elder Kim died of a heart attack, wartime
enemies the US and impoverished North Korea appeared close to
a deal on food aid. The North was expected to suspend uranium
enrichment, the main hurdle to restarting the six-party talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie