US envoy to meet Israel PM for indirect peace talks
Jerusalem: US envoy George Mitchell was to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday as part of "proximity talks" with the Palestinians which resumed earlier in the month, officials said.
Israeli and US officials confirmed the meeting would take place but declined to provide any further details. Mitchell has kept a low profile on previous visits and had no immediate plans to speak to the media.
Israeli media have reported that Netanyahu would offer a package of goodwill gestures to encourage the Palestinians to proceed to direct talks, which they have refused in the absence of a total freeze of Israeli settlements.
The gestures are said to include the release of prisoners, the lifting of roadblocks in the West Bank and the expansion of those parts of the territory under limited Palestinian self-rule.
Israeli media have also said Israel plans to free up land currently allocated to settlements in order to build a road linking a large-scale planned Palestinian community to the West Bank political capital of Ramallah.
Israeli officials declined to comment on the reports.
Mitchell on Wednesday met with Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas and was given letters of protest against the killing of a Palestinian teenager in the West Bank, allegedly by an Israeli settler, and the killing of an elderly farmer in Gaza near the heavily-guarded border by the Israeli military.
The letters also addressed "the numerous Israeli provocative statements of the last few days”, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat said, referring to statements by Netanyahu and other officials that settlement construction would continue in annexed east Jerusalem.
Mitchell plans to shuttle between Washington, Jerusalem and Ramallah as part of the indirect peace talks launched on May 09.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez