US envoy to Pak presents credentials to Zardari
Islamabad: US Ambassador Richard Olson was among seven envoys who presented their credentials to President Asif Ali Zardari during a special ceremony held at the Governor`s House in Karachi on Wednesday.
The envoys called on the President separately after presenting their credentials and discussed bilateral relations and matters of mutual interest, an official spokesman said.
The President hoped the envoys would work to further cement ties with Pakistan.
Olson is taking over as the US envoy in Pakistan at a time when the two countries are grappling to put their relations on an even keel after a string of crises, including the American military raid that killed Osama bin Laden, and marked differences on the endgame in Afghanistan.
Shortly after his arrival in Islamabad last week, Olson said he was keen on working with "Pakistanis from all sections of society to build a relationship based on mutual respect and common interests".
"There is tremendous potential in this country and I want to work with Pakistanis to increase economic opportunity, expand trade between our two countries, address the energy crisis, and improve the quality of education and healthcare for all," he said.
Olson was sworn in by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as Ambassador to Pakistan on September 24.
His previous assignment was as the Coordinating Director for Development and Economic Affairs at the US Embassy in Kabul during 2011-2012.
He also served as US Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates during 2008-2011.
Olson joined the Department of State in 1982 and has also served in Mexico, Uganda, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh