US envoy to Pak presents credentials to Zardari
Islamabad: US Ambassador Richard Olson was among seven envoys who presented their credentials to President Asif Ali Zardari during a special ceremony held at the Governor`s House in Karachi on Wednesday.
The envoys called on the President separately after presenting their credentials and discussed bilateral relations and matters of mutual interest, an official spokesman said.
The President hoped the envoys would work to further cement ties with Pakistan.
Olson is taking over as the US envoy in Pakistan at a time when the two countries are grappling to put their relations on an even keel after a string of crises, including the American military raid that killed Osama bin Laden, and marked differences on the endgame in Afghanistan.
Shortly after his arrival in Islamabad last week, Olson said he was keen on working with "Pakistanis from all sections of society to build a relationship based on mutual respect and common interests".
"There is tremendous potential in this country and I want to work with Pakistanis to increase economic opportunity, expand trade between our two countries, address the energy crisis, and improve the quality of education and healthcare for all," he said.
Olson was sworn in by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as Ambassador to Pakistan on September 24.
His previous assignment was as the Coordinating Director for Development and Economic Affairs at the US Embassy in Kabul during 2011-2012.
He also served as US Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates during 2008-2011.
Olson joined the Department of State in 1982 and has also served in Mexico, Uganda, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?