US envoy warns N Korea against new nuclear test
Seoul: A top US official on Monday warned North Korea against "further miscalculation" amid fears of a new nuclear test.
"It is very important that North Korea (DPRK) not miscalculate again and engage in any future provocation, and that`s the main message that we`re conveying to North Korea (DPRK)," Glyn Davies, the US special representative on the DPRK, told reporters after meeting with his South Korean and Japanese counterparts.
The remark came amid growing speculation that Pyongyang might conduct its third nuclear test following the botched attempt last month to launch a long-range rocket mounted with an observational satellite.
The launch, which Pyongyang said was to mark the birth centennial of the country`s founding father Kim Il Sung, was seen as a cover for a long-range missile test and drew condemnation from the UN Security Council.
The failed launch also scuttled a food aid deal between Pyongyang and Washington, under which the former promised to halt nuclear and missile tests.
"Further miscalculation will be met with similar united action by the world community," Davies said without elaborating on the possibility of a nuclear test.
"We expect and hope that North Korea will make a different set of decisions, will cease devoting its resources to its nuclear program, and will instead open up itself to the outside world," he added.
Experts and government officials here have said the DPRK appears to be ready to conduct a nuclear test and is only awaiting a political decision. Its previous two tests in 2006 and 2009 were followed by missile tests.
Monday`s trilateral talks, also joined by Lim Sung-nam of South Korea and Shinsuke Sugiyama of Japan, were aimed at ensuring all parties concerned have the "same understanding" of the situation and various contingency scenarios, according to the US envoy.
Sugiyama described the meeting, the second such tripartite talks this year, as "fruitful" and "timely”.
Davies is scheduled to leave for Beijing on Tuesday to meet with his Chinese counterpart Wu Dawei. He will then visit Japan before returning home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28