US: Ex-girlfriend of Gurdwara shooter arrested
Washington: A former girlfriend of the slain suspect in Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting that left six Sikhs dead has been arrested and faces charges of possession of illegal weapon.
31-year-old Misty Cook, a waitress and nursing student with reported ties to white supremacist organisations, was arrested as part of a joint investigation by the FBI and South Milwaukee Police Department "on the crime of felon in possession of a firearm”.
"Charges will be sought through the Milwaukee County District Attorney`s Office," Milwaukee police said in a statement last night after the arrest of Cook, the former girlfriend of the slain 41-year-old gunman Wade Page.
A federal law enforcement official was quoted as saying by ABC News that Cook was taken into custody on the grounds that she is prohibited from having a gun as a convicted felon. Cook was charged in 2002 for fleeing and eluding a traffic officer.
Cook`s relationship with Page fell apart in the weeks leading up to his alleged shooting spree at the Gurdwara.
In Oak Creek, Wisconsin, thousands of people gathered last evening in an outpour of support for victims of the shooting on Sunday. They lit candles, flew orange Sikh flags and joined in Sikh prayers.
"What we learned, you know, about the shooter is he did stuff with music that was completely full of hate and energy that was brain-washing to himself," Amardeep Kaleka, whose father Satwant Singh Kaleka was president of the Gurdwara and among those shot and killed, was quoted as saying.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'