US examines only small percentage of world`s comm traffic: WH
Washington: Defending the internet and telephone surveillance program of its National Security Agency, the White House has said it examines only "a very small percentage" of the world`s traffic.
"In carrying out its mission, NSA collects only what it is explicitly authorised to collect.
And while NSA analysts examine only a very small percentage of the world`s traffic, if communications of US persons are incidentally collected the agency must follow minimisation procedures that are approved by the US Attorney General and designed to protect the privacy of US persons," the White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters on Thursday.
"Specifically, these procedures require NSA to minimise the acquisition processing, retention and dissemination of information of or concerning US persons," he said adding that the purpose of the program is to investigate and potentially prevent terrorist threats emanating from foreign sources.
"And the protections in place regarding the inadvertent collection of information of US citizens ensure that there`s a process of minimisation that protects the privacy of American citizens," he said in response to a question.
Carney said when an American national sends an email overseas, it is not being read.
"It`s not being read. The information that is targeted has to do with terrorist threats or potential terrorist threats emanating from foreign persons in foreign areas," he said.
"And there are procedures in place that ensure that inadvertently collected information is minimised and dealt with appropriately," he said.
The NSA program he said focused entirely on foreign terrorist threats, and information that is tracked is related solely to that.
The White House Press Secretary was responding to a question on The New York Times report that the NSA had been "searching the contents of vast amounts of Americans` emails and text communications" without a warrant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’