US expecting smooth changeover in govt in Nepal
Washington: The United States said it expects a smooth changeover of the government in Nepal following the resignation of its current Prime Minister Jhalanath Khanal.
"The information we have is that this resignation was expected, and we have every expectation that there will be a smooth government change in keeping with Nepals constitution," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters during her daily news conference.
Nepal`s caretaker Prime Minister Khanal resigned on August 14 succumbing to intense pressure from Nepali Congress and the Maoists.
President Ram Baran Yadav has given all parties an August 21 deadline to form the next government through consensus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Baar Baar Dekho: Brand new ‘Kala Chashma’ still featuring Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra
- 1st Test, Day 1 – Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- Mobile, internet services restored in Jammu, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley
- GST expectations buoy equity markets; Sensex trading at 28,121
- Four Pakistan-backed terrorists killed, 1 apprehended in J&K's Naugam, encounter on