US expects Gaddafi to respect Americans` sentiment
Washington: The United States has said it is confident that the Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi would have a suitable accommodation when he arrives here next month to attend the General Assembly session of the United Nations.
The US said it is hopeful that the Libyan leader would respect the sentiments of the American people, in particular the residents of Englewood, a suburban part of New Jersey adjoining New York city.
Residents of this city and those in New Jersey are up in arms against the prospect of the Libyan leader pitching his Bedouin tent inside the sprawling residence of the Libyan Ambassador to the United Nations in New Jersey.
They are outraged at the hero`s welcome accorded to Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, the Libyan convicted of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 in 1988, who was released by the Scottish authorities early this month.
Megrahi, who is suffering from cancer, was released on compassionate grounds. Doctors have given him three months of life.
Responding to reporters` questions, Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs PJ Crowley said the US has been talking with the Libyan authorities about their plans for the UN General Assembly and have expressed the concerns that the Americans have about this.
"We believe that the Libyans understand those concerns. I think we are confident that when the UN General Assembly convenes, that the Libyan delegation will have suitable accommodations and that they will respect the earnest wishes of the people of the region," Crowley said.
Several Congressmen and Senators from New Jersey have written to the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asking her that the State Department should prevent the Libyan leader from pitching his tent in New Jersey and that he be restricted within a few blocks of the United Nations headquarters in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?