US expresses concern over detention of protestors in Russia
Washington: The US today expressed concern over reports of detention of Russian protestors, who were holding peaceful demonstration in Moscow on January 31 and termed it as a blow against freedom of speech and assembly.
"The United States is concerned by reports that authorities in Moscow on January 31 once again broke up a
peaceful demonstration by Russian citizens," State Department Deputy Acting Spokesman Gordon Duguid said.
"The detention of at least 100 protestors, including prominent human rights defenders and opposition political leaders, together with reports of mistreatment against some of
the demonstrators, constitutes another blow against freedom of speech and assembly, which are universal and fundamental rights that deserve to be protected and promoted," Duguid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!