US expresses concern over Mursi seizing more power
Washington: Following the Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi`s decision to seize more power for himself through a decree, US has expressed concern for Egyptians and for the International communities, as country witnessed new round of protests.
"The decisions and declarations announced on November 22 raise concerns for many Egyptians and for the international community," the State Department spokesperson, Victoria Nuland, yesterday said in a statement.
"One of the aspirations of the revolution was to ensure that power would not be overly concentrated in the hands of any one person or institution," Nuland said.
"The current constitutional vacuum in Egypt can only be resolved by the adoption of a constitution that includes checks and balances and respects fundamental freedoms, individual rights and the rule of law consistent with Egypt`s international commitments," she said.
"We call for calm and encourage all parties to work together and call for all Egyptians to resolve their differences over these important issues peacefully and through democratic dialogue," Nuland said in an apparent reference to the protest against the decision of the Egyptian president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video