US extradites Bosnian Serb suspected of genocide
Sarajevo: The United States has extradited to Bosnia a Serb former soldier under investigation for genocide during the 1995 massacre of Muslims in Srebrenica, Bosnia`s state prosecutor said on Thursday.
Marko Boskic, 46, was arrested in the United States where he was prosecuted for immigration fraud for lying about his military engagement during the Bosnian 1992-95 war, the prosecutor`s office said in a statement.
"Boskic is under investigation by the prosecutor`s office and is suspected of committing the criminal offence of genocide in Srebrenica in July 1995 as a former member of the 10th Commando Squad of the Serb Republic Army," it said.
It said Boskic is suspected of having, together with other members of the squad, "personally participated in the shooting and killing of Muslim men and boys captured after the fall of Srebrenica."
Bosnian Serb forces, commanded by General Ratko Mladic, killed some 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys after they captured the eastern town which had been a United Nations-protected safe zone.
It was the worst atrocity in Europe since World War Two.
Most were killed while trying to escape through the woods, and were either shot or arrested and taken to places of execution before burial in mass graves.
The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague has sentenced seven Bosnian Serbs and is trying nine more for the Srebrenica massacre.
Bosnia`s war crimes court, set up in 2005 to relieve the burden on The Hague-based court, has put dozens of Bosnian Serbs on trial over Srebrenica. Twelve have been jailed, seven acquitted and seven are still being tried.
Mladic is still on the run 14 years after he was indicted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan