US F-16 jet goes missing off Italy
Rome: A search is underway for a US F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet that went missing on a training flight off the coast of Italy.
The ANSA news agency said the headquarters of the US 31st Fighter Wing stationed at the Aviano air base in Italy lost contact with the aircraft around 8 p.m. Monday, shortly after the pilot reported a problem.
The US aircraft from Aviano as well as units of Italian Coast Guard and air force are involved in the search-and-rescue effort off the coast of Ravenna province in the northwestern part of the Adriatic Sea.
The plane did not carry any weaponry on board during the mission, according to a statement by the US Air Force.
Experts believe the aircraft has crashed in the Adriatic but the pilot could have survived.
The average age of the F-16s, considered the workhorse of the US fighter fleet, is 22 to 24 years.
Over 4,500 aircraft have been built since production was approved in 1976.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur