US F-16 jet goes missing off Italy
Rome: A search is underway for a US F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet that went missing on a training flight off the coast of Italy.
The ANSA news agency said the headquarters of the US 31st Fighter Wing stationed at the Aviano air base in Italy lost contact with the aircraft around 8 p.m. Monday, shortly after the pilot reported a problem.
The US aircraft from Aviano as well as units of Italian Coast Guard and air force are involved in the search-and-rescue effort off the coast of Ravenna province in the northwestern part of the Adriatic Sea.
The plane did not carry any weaponry on board during the mission, according to a statement by the US Air Force.
Experts believe the aircraft has crashed in the Adriatic but the pilot could have survived.
The average age of the F-16s, considered the workhorse of the US fighter fleet, is 22 to 24 years.
Over 4,500 aircraft have been built since production was approved in 1976.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know