US F-16s chase down small planes near Obama`s Florida resort
Washington: US F-16 fighter jets intercepted two small planes that separately violated flight restrictions set up in Florida for US President Barack Obama`s visit, according to a media report.
In the first incident, a Cessna 152, entered the restricted airspace just before noon yesterday near the Palm City resort where Obama is staying, according to Army Lt Col Mike Humphreys.
The military`s North American Aerospace Defence Command sent a F-16 fighter jet and a Coast Guard helicopter to intercept the plane, he was quoted as saying by CNN.
The F-16 flew with the plane until it landed at Witham Field in nearby Stuart, where it was met by local officials.
The Secret Service and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the incident.
Five hours later, F-16s intercepted a Lancair 320, a smaller craft that seats two passengers, the defence command said.
That plane left the restricted airspace after the fighter jets arrived and "continued to its destination”, according to the defence command.
Small aircraft occasionally enter areas restricted temporarily when the American president travels.
A year ago, a Cessna 182 aircraft was intercepted over Obama`s airspace in Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown