US F-16s chase down small planes near Obama`s Florida resort
Washington: US F-16 fighter jets intercepted two small planes that separately violated flight restrictions set up in Florida for US President Barack Obama`s visit, according to a media report.
In the first incident, a Cessna 152, entered the restricted airspace just before noon yesterday near the Palm City resort where Obama is staying, according to Army Lt Col Mike Humphreys.
The military`s North American Aerospace Defence Command sent a F-16 fighter jet and a Coast Guard helicopter to intercept the plane, he was quoted as saying by CNN.
The F-16 flew with the plane until it landed at Witham Field in nearby Stuart, where it was met by local officials.
The Secret Service and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the incident.
Five hours later, F-16s intercepted a Lancair 320, a smaller craft that seats two passengers, the defence command said.
That plane left the restricted airspace after the fighter jets arrived and "continued to its destination”, according to the defence command.
Small aircraft occasionally enter areas restricted temporarily when the American president travels.
A year ago, a Cessna 182 aircraft was intercepted over Obama`s airspace in Los Angeles.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed