US F-16s chase down small planes near Obama`s Florida resort
Washington: US F-16 fighter jets intercepted two small planes that separately violated flight restrictions set up in Florida for US President Barack Obama`s visit, according to a media report.
In the first incident, a Cessna 152, entered the restricted airspace just before noon yesterday near the Palm City resort where Obama is staying, according to Army Lt Col Mike Humphreys.
The military`s North American Aerospace Defence Command sent a F-16 fighter jet and a Coast Guard helicopter to intercept the plane, he was quoted as saying by CNN.
The F-16 flew with the plane until it landed at Witham Field in nearby Stuart, where it was met by local officials.
The Secret Service and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the incident.
Five hours later, F-16s intercepted a Lancair 320, a smaller craft that seats two passengers, the defence command said.
That plane left the restricted airspace after the fighter jets arrived and "continued to its destination”, according to the defence command.
Small aircraft occasionally enter areas restricted temporarily when the American president travels.
A year ago, a Cessna 182 aircraft was intercepted over Obama`s airspace in Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray