US faces `10-year issue` in Syria, says top military general
Washington: The United States faces `a 10-year issue` in Syria, top US military officer has said.
The warning from Army General Martin Dempsey came as the US is weighing how deeply it wants to get involved the country`s civil war.
Dempsey in an interview with CNN`s State of the Union said that the conflict is now spilling over into both Lebanon and Iraq, and those underlying causes `will persist for 10 years`.
Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that the conflict is related to a competition at best and a conflict at worse between the Sunni and Shia sects of Islam.
He added that it`s been hijacked at some level on both sides by extremists-al Qaeda on one side and Lebanese Hezbollah and others on the other side.
He added that the conflict is about a 10-year issue, and if the US fails to think about it as a 10-year regional issue, they could make some mistakes.
Dempsey, Obama`s principal military adviser, said that the war in Syria is `not a simple matter of stopping the fight by the introduction of any particular US capability,` the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says