US fears `new` massacre in Syria`s Latakia province
Damascus: The United States has expressed fears that the Syrian Government may be organising another massacre in the town of Haffa in Latakia province.
According to reports, UN military observers have been denied access to the province.
"The UN made a particular appeal to be able to get into Haffa because it had heard concerning reports about regime plans," US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.
"At the same time, if you follow Syrian media, they were claiming that the opposition would cause a massacre," the reports quoted Nuland as saying.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said that it was vital that the observers be allowed into the town. Ban also warned of a ``great danger`` to civilians under fire. In a statement, Kofi Annan, joint envoy for the UN and Arab League, said that there were ``indications that a large number of civilians are trapped`` in Homs and Haffa.
"The Secretary General underlines the importance of unimpeded access by UNSMIS to Haffa, amid reports of a build-up of government forces around the town," Annan said. Syrian Government helicopter gunships attacked rebel in Haffa, UN observers and human rights activists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly