US fears `new` massacre in Syria`s Latakia province
Damascus: The United States has expressed fears that the Syrian Government may be organising another massacre in the town of Haffa in Latakia province.
According to reports, UN military observers have been denied access to the province.
"The UN made a particular appeal to be able to get into Haffa because it had heard concerning reports about regime plans," US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.
"At the same time, if you follow Syrian media, they were claiming that the opposition would cause a massacre," the reports quoted Nuland as saying.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said that it was vital that the observers be allowed into the town. Ban also warned of a ``great danger`` to civilians under fire. In a statement, Kofi Annan, joint envoy for the UN and Arab League, said that there were ``indications that a large number of civilians are trapped`` in Homs and Haffa.
"The Secretary General underlines the importance of unimpeded access by UNSMIS to Haffa, amid reports of a build-up of government forces around the town," Annan said. Syrian Government helicopter gunships attacked rebel in Haffa, UN observers and human rights activists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video